Helapuri (Eluru) was part of the Buddhist kingdom of Vengi. The Eastern Chalakyas ruled coastal Andhra from 700 to 1200, with Vengi,near the village of Pedavegi, as their capital. Historical evidence can be found at the villages of Pedavegi and Guntupalli (Jilakarragudem).
Eluru then became a part of the Kalinga Empire until 1471. Later it fell into the hands of the Gajapathis. In 1515 Srikrishnadevaraya captured it. After the fall of the Vijayanagara Kingdom, it was taken by the Sultan of Golkonda, Kutub Shah.
After the British established control over South India, Eluru and surrounding areas were merged into the Madras Presidency. During the division of Northern Cirkars into districts, Eluru was made a part of Machilipatnam district. Later, it was included in the Godavari District in 1859. Subsequently, Eluru was made part of the Krishna District. Finally, in the year 1925, West Godavari District was formed with Eluru as its Headquarters and all the district offices and regional offices were set up in Eluru town.